Friday, February 21, 2014

Game Review: Medieval Apocalypse

wp_ss_20140220_0001
So in my email box this week popped up a request to take the game Medieval Apocalypse for a test drive. I have to admit, I found the game image adorable when I clicked the link in the email. Little did I know that the cute little knight in that image would tweak my thoughts of game play on Windows Phone devices forever.
wp_ss_20140220_0004
After a quick boot up screen, Zoltán Gubics, completely blew me away. The menu is simple, and getting down to playing is just one little click away. Simply hit the play button and off you go.
wp_ss_20140220_0005
The loading screen delivers a quick tutorial of the game controls and how to use some of the additional features. To sum it up quickly, you have a “D” pad control on the left of the screen, attack and defense buttons on the right. Across the top are your character indicators.
wp_ss_20140220_0006
Walking through the tutorial, I found the controls amazingly accurate. Normally on these styles, I find myself blocking my view of the screen by having my big thumbs on the controls. Zoltán either designed this thing for my thumbs in particular, or he just knew where to put them in location to the game play to where they aren’t in the way at all.
wp_ss_20140220_0007
After learning a few attack moves, you journey thought the tutorial and learn how to control your knight. Basic stick controls, attack and defense moves and even learning to jump are included with the learning level.
wp_ss_20140220_0008
After a very rough start on my first try, I started to get the hang of knocking off those crazy zombie things that were popping up everywhere. You will also discover the value of the ‘spin’ attack very quickly as they start coming from everywhere. Another key part is to watch for the glowing items. Those are areas you need to enter or attack to keep moving through the level.
wp_ss_20140220_0012
As the game progressed, I was more and more impressed with the shading, the action, the excitement and the fun of playing Medieval Apocalypse. The movements are fluid, textures are perfect and the play was smooth throughout the entire map. I’ve been killed about a hundred times in my first night playing, but this game is flat out gorgeous.
wp_ss_20140220_0013
Even as my screen flashes “Chapter failed” once again, I find myself wanting to stop this review to press the restart button yet again. I’m not sure what anyone expects from a FREE game, but this is a title I would easily spend $2.99-$4.99 on without hesitation. That said, get over to the store now, download this FREE – Did I mention that it was FREE yet? – game that literally changed my opinion on what a great Windows Phone game needs to be.
After you down load it and find your battery hitting 5%, go hit the market and give this one 5 stars and a good review before your phone dies. You can snag it here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/medieval-apocalypse/c50f3d48-756a-44e2-abcd-be626c69ae4c

I also wanted to give the developer some extra props on this title by mentioning his social networking sites... Thank you so much for the amazing game and keep them coming!

Website:
 
Facebook:
 
Twitter:
 
Youtube:

No comments:

Post a Comment